I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

CSA Week 2: My Adventures with Rhubarb

Here's what I got in my CSA box in late May (I know, I know, I'm trying to catch up.)



The most interesting thing to me was not the garlic scapes (though, YUM, love those), or the broccoli rabe (make this if you have some).  It was the rhubarb.  Now, people in my neck of the woods (and probably all kinds of other necks of other woods) use rhubarb all the time.  Me?  Never had it before.  Supposed to be pretty bitter, leaves are poisonous, I like strawberries all by themselves just fine, thank you very much.  HOWEVER!  When the CSA hands you rhubarb, you find something to do with it:


All that rhubarb, chopped
One lemon, quartered
Zest of said lemon
Whole bunch of rosemary, chopped

Cover with water, bring to boil, return to simmer, cover 20 minutes.


Set sieve over a bowl, strain out this yucky stuff, pressing to get all the good syrupy stuff.




Good syrupy stuff.
 Add to vodka, gin, or soda water for a delicious drink.


Or better yet, freeze into ice cubes, add to gin and soda with a squeeze of lime, sit on your deck in your bathing suit, and watch the kids play on the slip-n-slide.






2 comments:

  1. You are the smartest person IN THE WORLD. Ice cubes = brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfectly lovely. What time should I be over?

    ReplyDelete