I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nostalgia

There are two new candy shops in the Twin Cities. Both look super cute
and tout carrying all the candy we parents remember from our
childhoods. I have yet to be to either, fearing both putting my whole
family into a diabetic stupor and blowing all our savings on memories
of Buddy's Store where I sat at the counter and filled my face with
candy and soda while at our beach cottage on the Long Island Sound. I
remember squirreling away money under a rock near the store as a
savings account for next time and hiding candy in the rafters above my
bed for secret late-night sugar rushes while I listened to the
lighthouse horn and watched the light sweep across my room.
Apparently, the 30somethings who are now in charge not only want to
bring back every toy we played with (updated Strawberry Shortcake, My
Little Pony and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, anyone?), they also want
to give their children the same sugar rushes they had as kids. It's so
pervasive, even though I'm avoiding the super-cute neuveou candy shops
as long as I can (make no mistake that there will be a trip and a blog
about it this Summer. I'm not a robot.), I can still find one of my
favorites at Walgreens. Zotz. In three flavors!

Other favorites: Lik-m-Aid, Smarties, Pop Rocks. What are yours?

Sent from my iPhone - please forgive typos.

4 comments:

  1. Bubs Daddy Bubble Gum Ropes! Also Sugar Daddy Lollipops. What's up with me and candy with "Daddy" in the name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zots are now carried at Menards, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of those new shops, Candy ALly, is RIGHT by my house so if you're going to stop in to check it out, let me know and I'll meet ya for a drink across the street at Pepitos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zotz. They are my favorite. And not available anywhere around here that I know of.

    I also love Lik-m-aid, Abba Zabas, Bottle Caps, and Spree.

    My husband loves Mallo Cups.

    If I could right now, I'd be chewing Freshen Up gum. "Freshen your breath with Freshen Up -- the gum that goes *squirt*!" LOL

    ReplyDelete