I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Apples to Apples

The kids and I did a side-by-side taste test of two varieties of Minnesota apple: The beloved Honeycrisp and the new Sweetango.  



Top: Sweetango with its speckley skin
Bottom: Honeycrisp with its rich color


Apples, switched.  Honeycrisp on top, Sweetango on bottom.



Left: Honeycrisp - sweet and tart
Right: Sweetango - explosion of sweet (doing the tango on my tongue, I presume)

The Sweetango won unanimously.  I have a friend who thinks the skin of the Sweetango has a powdery taste, but it was an absolute landslide for me.  I think if I ate it whole, I might have had a different experience with the speckley, imperfect skin, as my friend did.  But in our house we cut up apples and eat them in slices because only one of us is likely to come close to eating a whole apple.  I also like a super sweet apple, and that's just what I got with the Sweetango.  

Don't get me wrong, Minnesotans, I'm not a Communist or anything; I love the Honeycrisp.  But in comparison one right after the other, I had to go with the sweeter of the two.  (And Sweetango was developed at the University of Minnesota, too, so don't judge me.) 

If you can get your hands on a Sweetango, give it a try and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. J and I part ways when it comes to apples; he's a sour guy, while I like 'em sweet. Can't wait to try the Sweetango, but better lay in some Harelsons for the dude.

    ReplyDelete