I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Greens and Eggs for Breakfasts

I've been way into greens for breakfast for a while now.  My favorite so far has been sauteed shallots, garlic and mixed greens (lots of spinach), served with goat cheese and  poached eggs on top.   







I make this for any meal of the day.  Sometimes I make a lemony vinaigrette for it, sometimes I add toasted pine nuts, sometimes I use scallions instead of shallots, sometimes I fry the eggs to make it go quicker.  I just learned that it's best to drain the finished greens by pressing them in a sieve before serving.  Otherwise you get a black/green puddle under your eggs half way through your meal.  Not terrible, but not very pretty.


Speaking of faster "melty eggs", I recently looked up ways to poach eggs in the microwave.  The ones pictured above are thusly cooked, but were my one and only success at this technique.  I love poached eggs, and really want a way to cook them that's faster than boiling water, adding white vinegar, putting the eggs in individual ramekins, submerging the lip and dropping the eggs in the water, and waiting four minutes.




I did these in a bowl with some water.  All other attempts exploded all over the microwave.  I like poachies so much, I think I need to invest in some sort of pan or microwave contraption.  Anyone out there have any experience with any of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment