I talk about food a lot. And other stuff.

But mostly food.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Hilary's Heavenly Eggs


Hilary, I don't know who you are, but thank you for a great answer to the question, "Ok, what am I gonna do with eggs THIS morning?" Eggs braised in tomato sauce with onion, garlic, basil and cheese.  Now, really, what could be better than that?  Oh, yeah, I served it on sourdough toast.  And there's a dinner option to serve it on angel hair pasta.



The key to the success of this recipe, I think, is to love your prepared sauce (or your homemade sauce, I suppose).  It is no secret here that I love Trader Joe's.  When they hit, they really hit.  One such item is their big can of Tuscano Marinara Sauce.  I was really glad to have had this sauce for this dish.



Next time I make this, I will know that it needs to hit the table immediately.  Everyone needs to be AT THE TABLE with hands washed, silverware, napkins and drinks at the ready when that timer goes off.  As it was this time around, the eggs were perfectly hard-cooked, bright yellow and crumbly.  It was really delicious, and I look forward to making it again with a runny center.  (As you may know, I would eat my hand if it had a runny egg on it.)



Remember when I said onions and garlic cooking in olive oil was my favorite smell?  Yeah.  This has pancetta in it.  My house smelled Seriously.  Awesome.

Nestled eggs.  I made the whole recipe (not the "for two" version).  Bill and I had no problem polishing the "serves 4" portion.  But then, we're like that.

I didn't add the basil until later.  This was honestly because I sometimes don't Actually Read the recipe, but I liked the freshness of the basil because of this.



I also sprinkled some pancetta on top.  I think next time I'll leave it out of the sauce and only sprinkle it on top.  The recipe calls for 1 oz for the whole 4 servings, and it disappeared in the sauce.  I'd rather use that little bit on top and preserve the crispiness of the pancetta.  (Not to mention the calories, as I felt the need to add more later because I was missing it.)


I can't wait to try this on angel hair pasta.  I bet I can get my kids to eat it then.  They had cereal this morning.  They have great palates, but the morning is not really when we try new things at ages 2 and 4, ya know?



3 comments:

  1. I made them this morning! They are delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to definitely give these a try. may even hike down the pike to get Trader Giotto sauce. But, if you don't put the pancetta in the sauce, how do you wind up with the brilliant onion/garlic/pancetta smell which is half the joy of cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karina - You cook the pancetta first, take it out of the pan and cook the onions/garlic in some of the fat! Then you get the smell, and your pancetta is all crispy and ready to sprinkle on top. Make sure to make extra for sampling with cooking!!

    ReplyDelete